Monday, July 22, 2013

{YA Review} Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles #2) by Marissa Meyer

{YA Review} Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles #2) by Marissa Meyer



The fates of Cinder and Scarlet collide as a Lunar threat spreads across the Earth...

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner. (Blurb via Goodreads)
{Details} Hardcover, 454 pages. Published February 5th 2013 by Feiwel and Friend. Source: library

{Rating} 4/5

{Review} If you haven't read Cinder be warned there are some spoilers ahead. Still here? Good. Let's talk about Scarlet.

In Cinder we had Cinderella, in Scarlet we have Little Red Riding Hood and the Big Bad Wolf. I liked the twist Meyer put on the Little Red Riding Hood and the Big Bad Wolf fairytale. Scarlet is a great heroine, strong, independent, driven. Wolf is a complicated character. He's got layers. He's a street fighter who has never tasted tomatoes, who says unbelievably sweet things, who has secrets.

When we see Cinder again she's still in jail, dealing with the revelations about her past, her destiny, knowing her time is limited unless she escapes. Of course she does, there are two more books after all, and she picks up a new comrade, Captain Thorne. I thought the addition of Captain Thorne was fantastic, he's so unlike any of the other characters, bringing a sense of humor and irreverence. He's exactly what we need when the tale turns dark.

As Cinder searches for answers we find out a bit more about her, her past, her abilities, who she can be. When Cinder's path collides with Scarlet and Wolf it's time for her to make a choice, to decide who she's going to be.

We also continue to follow Kai. Ugh. Kai loses the 'charming' moniker here. He's less charming and more idiot. I wanted to knock him upside the head and tell him to grow a backbone. Or a brain. Well, both really. He'd better redeem himself sometime soon.

There are three separate groups and the alternating focuses annoyed me at times. I found myself wanting to hurry through them to find out what happened in the other storylines, but mostly that's just me being impatient and unable to handle suspense.

And now here's the part I whine about the 4 books over 4 years publishing schedule. Cress doesn't come out until February 2014. That's 6+ months. And then we have to wait again. Winter doesn't come out for another YEAR after that. Seriously. If I didn't like this world so much I'd be furious instead of just impatient.


And because I can't resist, some mushy Wolf quotes: (be warned again, spoilers ahead)
"I think I realized that I would rather die because I betrayed them, than live because I betrayed you." (Meyer, 444)

"I know. We met less than a week ago and in that time I've done nothing but lie and cheat and betray you. I know. But if you give me a chance ... all I want is to protect you. To be near you. For as long as I'm able." (Meyer, 446)

No comments:

Post a Comment